Friday, November 11, 2011

Henschel, James E. Collection



James "Ned" Henschel

The James E. Henschel Collection at the National World War I Museum is comprised of correspondence and photographs from the military service of James Edward Henschel.  The Henschel Collection covers a broad variety of topics, including his controversial discharge from the Missouri National Guard.

“Ned” Henschel enlisted in the Missouri National Guard on June 20, 1916, and went south to train for the conflict at the Mexican Border in Laredo, Texas, with Company “F”, 4th Missouri Infantry.  Henschel later volunteered as an ambulance driver in France for the American Field Service.Unbeknownst to Henschel, he had left the country before receiving his discharge from the National Guard.  Several pages of the collection involve inquiries and demands regarding the resolution of the issue.  For more information about Henschel, refer to our blog post:  From Mexico to Germany.   


Collection Contributed by the National World War I Museum

 Image courtesy of the National World War I Museum