Friday, June 7, 2013

Walter G. Shaw, Musician, Second Class, 18th Infantry Band

Project staff recently scanned and transcribed a collection of letters written by Walter G. Shaw. Shaw enlisted in the U.S. Army in April 1917 and was assigned to Company K, 18th Infantry Band. After completing training in Arizona, Shaw was sent to France as part of General John J. Pershing’s 1st Division. Shaw frequently wrote home about his experiences, both stateside and abroad. His letters offer an interesting insight into the life of a soldier through training and deployment in France.

In addition to his service in the 18th Infantry Band, Shaw was attached to a Hospital Corps unit once he arrived in France. This was a dangerous task, as hospital corpsman on the Western Front frequently worked in harsh battlefield conditions. In April, 1918 Shaw suffered an injury after being gassed while transporting a wounded lieutenant from the field. After recovering from his injuries he was placed back on the line in October of 1918.

Below are a few excerpts from Shaw’s letters describing his experiences in France.





“A machine gun sounds just like an air Hammer on a rivet  every night we go to sleep to the sound of a great Drum. that is What it sound’s like and is puncuated once in a while by a little heavier note Which I guess is One of the big fellows going off. When the Anti Air Craft guns shoot at a plane, the shells leave a little puff of smoke in the air  it looks like a game but it is shure a dangerous One…”







“the picture I have a Moustache nearly every One that can grow on has done so it is French Custom  Well I was scared the first shell I heard also I dident get very used to them even if they dont come within 20 yds of you it seemes as if you cant be missed. some came a good deal closer one evening there is just One thing if you are going to get it and if not you wont of course you must be carefull as possible…”




Shaw was killed in action during a night bombardment at Charpentry, France on October 2, 1918. A shell exploded near his position, killing him and wounding six of his fellow soldiers. He was buried in the Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery and Memorial in France.

Letters from the Walter G. Shaw collection are part of the first set of materials that will be digitized by the project in the coming months.


Bibliography:

Shaw Collection. 1982.83. National World War I Museum, Kansas City, MO.

All Images Courtesy of the National World War I Museum.